WHAT’S UP? PUBLIC BOARD MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
PRESENTATIONS, SPECIAL RECOGNITIONS, BRIEFS
Chair of Board, Debbie Tablotney presents Trustee Donna Sargent with a congratulatory bouquet of flowers for being elected as a BCSTA Director.
Board Chair, Debbie Tablotney presents flowers to Trustee Donna Sargent.
The Board received a presentation on the role of the Educational Assistant and referred the presentation to the budget process and to the Executive Team to determine a venue to discuss concerns expressed.
Ross McLuskie (CUPE President) with June Kaiser, Laird Cossar, Liz Foster & Linda Kouwenhoven presenting to the Board
The Board received a budget brief from the Richmond Teachers’ Association and referred it to the budget process and to the Executive Team for further discussion.
Al Klassen (RTA President) with RTA Vice President Liz Baverstock
The Board received reports on collaboration time from Cambie and McRoberts secondary schools and approved continued collaboration time for both schools into the 2018/19 school year.
Cambie Staff – Rob Laing (Principal). Kevin Li, Simrit Ollek
McRoberts Staff – Jane McFadyen (Principal), Nicole Porter, Julie Anne Mainville
Long Range Facilities Plan
The Board received a report from the Secretary Treasurer updating on the district’s Long Range Facilities Plan. The Secretary Treasurer advised that staff had set up school consultation committees with the sixteen schools on the consideration for potential closure and that meetings had been planned from April 18 to April 29, 2016 to allow for meaningful input from each school community prior to the public open houses currently scheduled for May 17, 18 and 19.
The district’s public engagement site “Our Schools, Our Students, Our Future” http://letstalksd38.ca/our-schools-our-students-our-future will be used to provide information on upcoming open houses and to seek input through the next phases of this process.
2015/16 Operating Budget and Local Capital Reserve
The Board received a report from the Assistant Secretary Treasurer that noted the budget pressure on the operating fund as the district did not receive its usual holdback funding from the Ministry. This was due to unanticipated enrolment increases in 8 other school districts to which all hold back funds were allocated. The report also provided information on the Local Capital Fund anticipated year end expenditures.
Assistant Superintendents – Kathyrn D’Angelo, Lynn Archer & Wendy Lim
2016/17 Budget Process and Timeline Update
The Board received a report from the Secretary Treasurer proposing a revised budget timeline. The Board approved the revised timeline that will now see the committee of the whole discussion on the 2016/17 budget take place on Monday, May 16, a debate and decision on recommendations to balance the 2016-2017 budget at the June 6 meeting and final approval of 2016/17 operating budget bylaw at the June 20 meeting of the Board.
The Superintendent spoke to the Long Range Facilities Plan process currently underway and recognized the many challenges and difficulties the school district and our community is currently facing. She encouraged everyone to support each other however possible.
STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS
Personnel & Finance Committee
1. Trustees Tablotney and Sargent received approval from the Board to attend the Canadian School Boards Association Congress in July 2016 as the Board’s official delegates.
2. The Board agreed to once again participate in the July 1 Steveston Salmon Festival Parade and to invite all stakeholder groups to join them in celebrating public education in our community.
3. The Board agreed to write a letter of appreciation to the The BC Association of School Business Officials for its report on Administration Costs and Operating Reserves For BC Public Schools and encourage BCASBO to share the report with educational partners.
1. The Board approved revisions to Policy 501.8: Student Registration, Enrolment and Placement.
2. The Board approved revisions to Policy 708: Video Surveillance.
1. The Board’s March 31, 2016 response to the brief presented by the Coordinator for the Province of BC about Talk With Our Kids About Money Day, Canadian Foundation for Economic Education (CFEE) together with the February 2, 2016 request from CFEE was received.
2. The April 8, 2016 response from The Honourable John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, to the Board’s February 23, 2016 letter regarding the Settlement Workers in Schools Program was received.
3. The City of Richmond’s April 6, 2016 letter regarding a Residential Proposal Involving an OCP Amendment and Rezoning (RZ 16-724589) was received
4. Mayor Brodie’s April 12, 2016 letter regarding Board participation in the proposed trip to Pierrefonds, QC in late May 2016 was received. After discussion on the purpose and role of a School Trustee on the trip to Pierrefonds, Richmond’s sister city, the Board passed a resolution for trustees not to attend. The Superintendent advised that staff would continue the discussion on potential strategies for this sister city relationship.